I am sure many of you have gotten the call from an unknown number that flashes "windows" or "Novatel" or 'Security" or some such on your caller ID. This happens, I am told, mostly to older folks, like me. The assumption is that the recipients of the call are older and not really computer savvy.
Usually the call starts out something like: "Hello, this is Patel from Windows. How are you today?" Note that it is not from Microsoft or MacAfee or Norton
" I'm all right" you may respond. Then he gets into the spiel: "There has been a notification of unusual activity sent to us that indicates you have a virus downloaded into your computer."
You may respond a few different ways. "How did you get this information?" or "Are you from Microsoft?' or "Which computer is it?" or "What is the IP address of the infected unit?" or "Oh my gosh, how did that happen?" or "How do I fix it?"
His response will indicate it is the computer running Windows 7. He will have no idea what the IP address is and the last two responses make him smile. He will then instruct you to go to the computer, turn it on and enter a string of numbers and letters into the address bar after you log into your browser. This, he says will connect you with his computer and he will fix the problem for you. Once he gets there, however, he will see additional errors that must be fixed to prevent further problems, and that will cost some big money. While he is in your computer he is planting a worm or a backdoor virus so he can get in whenever he wants to to get your passwords, even though you change them daily, and any other data he can glean.
If he cannot give you and IP address, he is just talking shit. He is scamming.So tell him you are running on an Apple computer with OS8 and don't need his help.
Orrrrrrr....maybe something like this:
Me: "Hello, how are you today?"
Patel (or whatever his name is): " Hello, this is Patel from Windows. I am calling today to advise you your computer has sent a notice that it is infected with a very dangerous virus."
M: Oh my gosh, how did that happen?
P: It may have been sent by way of an Email or a downloaded file.
M: what can we do about it?
P: Well, can you go to your computer right now and turn it on?
M: Yeah, sure. Okay, it is coming on now.
P: After it comes on, I will need you to give me your Email address.
M: Okay, it's Coldone@AOL.com
P: And your password?
M: the password? I don't think I'm supposed to give that out
P:It's all right, we are are here trying to help you.
M: Okay, it's Hotzipper
P: Is your internet browser up yet?
M: Yes, it's loading up now.
P: All right. now enter the following into the address bar www.scambastards.com and hit enter
M: Hang on a second, I'm not a fast typer. to the side "How long until we have it?"
P: What was that?
M: Oh, just trying to get this address in.
P: Okay
M: My browser is a little slow sometimes. My grandson says I should get something better than a dial-up service.
P: Yes, then things will load a lot faster and you can get more data and other information with a lot less wait time.
M: Okay, we got it!
P: what is that?
M: We have your physical address. And the address of your computers.
P: What do you mean?
M: You, sir, have been speaking with the NSA. We have tracked the sourcing of this call. We have a Predator drone about 10 minutes away. It carries a high explosive ordinance package and is en route to your location. I am advising you to evacuate the premises before the launch is executed. You have, let's see, about eight minutes to get out of there or hope your life insurance is paid up. Have a nice day.
And then hang up.
No comments:
Post a Comment