MY (our) granddaughter is 19 months old now and is learning to associate words with things and names with people. My wife has expressed the desire to be called "Oma", apparently a Germanic term for the female parent of the parent of the child: a grandmother.
She has sharply dismissed the notion that she be called "grandmother" as that was the term reserved for her mother's mother. Grandma or Granny have also be quickly and loudly dismissed. She has always been firm in being called "Mother" or in less formal times "Mom". Ma or Mama or any lesser form was deemed inappropriate.
I am called Dad, Pop, Old guy, Old man, Hey, Male Parental Unit, or any other name my kids want to call me. I even answer to Carl, Yak, Carl Joseph, or "Wanna beer?".
So as my(our) granddaughter grows and begins speech patterns and recognition of Naming Things, I was issued the title of "Grampa Carl". This is because her other father of a parent is known as "Grampa Jim". I don't think either one of us cares what we are called, just as long as Julia Rose (the child in question) is excited to see us, plays with us, gives us kisses and hugs, and is willing to return to her parents when the diaper needs changing.
My dad was known to twelve grandchildren as "Grampa Yak". He never chose his name, it just fit.
If I am to be blessed with additional offspring of my offspring, I may earn the title of Grampa Yak. But as for now, I will take great pride in being spoken to in a language that I do not understand because it has not yet developed fully. I will understand the look of joy and the warmth of hugs. MY granddaughter can call me anything she wants.
Except "Granny"
No comments:
Post a Comment