Sunday, April 12, 2020

SiriusXM, are you serious

While imprisoned in my own home for the last few days, I have, on and off, been listening to SiriusXM on my smart tv. They are now playing what they call the 1000 most important songs of the classic rock era. What they mean, aside from Jimi Hendrix and Santana, the best 1000 songs by white guys. It seems acts like Sly and the Family Stone, Otis Redding, Edwin Starr, all of Motown and Stax (Nashville), the Romantics, and a host of other non-white guys couldn't make the cut. I have heard some truly forgettable songs by good acts, but not their best.

I am not saying I am totally qualified to choose the best songs of all time from any particular era, but I know what I grew up listening to. The songs on the list should be the ones that you sang along to in the car. You danced with you first crush. The ones you had on you turntable or cassette deck or (dare I say it) reel to reel player.

I just looked at the list published elsewhere. And the comments that followed. I realize there is no way on this pandemic earth we can all agree on the top songs. A lot of the comments said their favorite was rated too low. A couple of the comments were in line with my above stated question. As I looked down the list, I did a "wtf" noise that that particular song was even included.

SiriusXM has a poop load of channels to listen to. I have been known to switch out of  a song that I like, but only sort of, looking for a song I like better. And yes, I even have easy listening jazz and other weird stuff. Even a country station I listen to when driving long distances. It's OUtlaw Country with Willie and the boys. Old shit. Like me.




No comments:

Post a Comment